Makes 4 servings. Recipe adapted from AARP.
8 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
3/4 teaspoon salt divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium bulb fennel cored and sliced
1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cups snap peas, trimmed
1/3 cup white wine
4 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
Total fat: 14g
Total Carbs: 62g
Dietary Fiber: 11g
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water, then drain and keep the pasta warm.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron skillet or flat-bottom carbon-steel wok, over medium-high heat until simmering. Add the chicken and cook, stirring , until browned and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, fennel and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring, until the vegetables just start to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, snap peas, wine the reserved pasta water and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Continue to cook, stirring, until the tomatoes start to burst, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan along with tarragon; cook, stirring, until the liquid is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes more. Serve the chicken and vegetables over the pasta.