Makes 4 servings
Butter for soufflé dish
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp mustard
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
(or similar semi-hard cheese)
3 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp creme of tartar
Nutrition info per serving
Total fat: 17.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 10.1g
Dietary Fiber: .3g
- Butter a 1-1/2 quart soufflé dish or casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine flour, baking powder and mustard in mixing bowl. Blend in milk. Mix thoroughly, then pour into small saucepan and bring to a low boil, stirring until cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff and fluffy. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks till smooth a large mixing bowl. Fold cheese mixture into yolks, then fold egg whites into cheese mixture until well blended.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Set the soufflé in a larger baking dish filled with 1” water. Place in preheated oven and bake 50–60 min. Soufflé should rise above rim of disk, with a fluffy, golden top. A knife inserted halfway between edge and center should come out clean.
- NOTE: A soufflé may “deflate” within a few minutes, so present immediately. Spoon onto serving plates, allowing soufflé to cool to desired temperature before eating.