Makes 6 servings. Recipe adapted from AARP.
2 teaspoons salt
12 ounces orecchiette pasta (about 3 1/2 cups)
2 pounds broccoli rabe (about 2 bunches)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 anchovy fillets, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Nutritional info per serving
Total fat: 12g
Total Carbs: 50g
Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in salt, add pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash broccoli rabe and trim off tough ends. Chop into 2-inch lengths. Leave some of the water clinging to the leaves and stems; this will help create a sauce.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it starts to shimmer. Add garlic, crushed red pepper and anchovies, mashing the fillets until they dissolve. Add the broccoli rabe (you may have to do this in batches, stirring each batch a little until it wilts enough to add more). Cook, stirring, until almost tender, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and toss until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta and toss to coat. If it’s too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan if desired.