Makes 12 pancakes, serving size 1 pancake.
Recipe adapted from The Wholesome Dish.
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Butter for greasing the pan (about 3 tablespoons)
Maple syrup for serving
Strawberries, bananas, blueberries, apples, slivered almonds, chocolate chips, pretzel sticks
Total fat: 3g
Total Carbs: 17g
NOTE: Nutrition info does not include butter or toppings
- Prep any of the decorative toppings that you plan to use before making your pancakes.
OWL: Banana slices & blueberries for eyes, tip of strawberry for nose, slices of strawberry for wings, slivered almonds for feathers.
SUN: Chocolate chips for eyes, blueberries for smile, sliced strawberries for sun rays.
CRAB: Banana slices & blueberries for eyes, apple quarters for claws, apple pieces for face, pretzel sticks for legs.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the milk, sour cream, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until combined. It’s ok to have small lumps of sour cream.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir just until no large clumps of dry flour remain, trying not to over mix. The batter should be very lumpy.
- Melt about 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat until lightly bubbling and light brown.
- Ladle the batter into the skillet making 3-4 pancakes (about 1/4 cup of batter each). Cook 3-4 minutes, until bubbles form on top of each pancake and the bottoms are golden brown.
- Flip the pancakes. Cook 1-2 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. Put in warmed oven to keep warm while making the rest of the pancakes.
- Carefully wipe out any excess browned butter with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining butter and pancake batter.
- Decorate with your prepared toppings and serve warm with maple syrup.