Makes 4 servings. Recipe from Food & Wine.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
1 cup farro or wheat berries
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 quarts water
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 large carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
1 ½ cups frozen peas
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
Total Fat 11.2g
Total Carbohydrates 33g
Dietary Fiber 8.5g
- In an enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add the celery, onion and leek and cook over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add the farro and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the grains are coated and shiny, 30 seconds.
- Add 1 quart of the water and the beans and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the remaining 1 quart of water. Cover and cook over low heat until the carrots are tender, 30 minutes.
- Add the peas, cover and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, top with the basil.