Makes 4 servings.
Published in GoodHousekeeping.com.
2 acorn squash (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. sweet or hot Italian turkey or chicken sausage
1 small onion
1 medium red pepper
Salt and ground black pepper
1 package precooked whole-grain brown rice (scant 2 cups)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
Total Fat: 10g
*Photo does not accurately represent recipe.
- Lightly grease microwave-safe large plate; place squash halves, cut sides down, on plate (it's OK if halves overlap slightly). Cook squash in microwave oven on High 8 to 9 minutes or until fork-tender; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan with foil. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage and cook until browned, breaking up sausage with side of spoon. With slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- To same skillet, add onion, red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally; add to sausage in bowl.
- With spoon, scoop out squash, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell. Add scooped-out squash to bowl with sausage; stir in rice (it is not necessary to heat rice as label directs) and parsley until combined.
- Spoon sausage mixture into squash shells; place in prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.