Prep/cook time: 55 min. (+ 8-12 hours soaking time). Yield: 6 servings. Recipe from AARP.
2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1½ cups low-fat milk
1 large egg lightly beaten
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Total Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 41mg
- Combine oats and milk in a large bowl. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator until much of the liquid is absorbed at least 8 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with parchment or paper cupcake cups.
- Stir egg, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder and salt into the soaked oats until well combined. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (about 1/4 cup each). Top each with 1 tablespoon blueberries.
- Bake the oatmeal cakes until they spring back when touched, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Loosen and remove with a paring knife.
- Serve warm or keep them in your freezer. For a grab-and-go breakfast, reheat the oatmeal cakes in the microwave for about 40 seconds.