Makes 4 servings. Recipe from American Heart Association.
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (crumbled)
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
1 zucchini, cut crosswise into slices 1/4 inch wide
1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 8 slices
1 small onion, peeled & cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings
Total fat: 6g
Total Carbs: 5g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
- In a small bowl, stir together the basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Transfer 1 teaspoon of the mixture to a large shallow dish. Reserve the remaining mixture.
- Stir the lemon zest, lemon juice, and oil into the basil mixture in the shallow dish. Dip the chicken in the mixture, turning to coat. Transfer to a large plate. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes to 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill on medium high.
- Put the prepared zucchini, bell pepper, and onion slices on a flat surface. Lightly spray both sides of the vegetables with cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides with the reserved basil mixture. Using your fingertips, gently press the mixture so it adheres to the vegetables.
- Grill the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. After grilling the chicken on one, side, put the zucchini, bell pepper, and eggplant on the grill. Grill the vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until tender. Serve the chicken with the vegetables on the side.