Yield: 4 servings. Recipe from EatingWell.com.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups baby spinach, chopped (about 5 ounces)
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
¼ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon minced parsley
½ teaspoon ground pepper
Total Fat 18g
Cholesterol 203 mg
Total Carbohydrates 26g
Vitamin A 3593IO (72%)
- Heat oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet (or similar oven-proof pan) on medium heat.
- Add spinach and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the spinach has wilted and the garlic is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, cream and salt. Adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk. Make a well in the sauce roughly large enough to hold the egg and slip it in so that the yolk and most of the white is contained (some white may spread out).
- Repeat with the remaining eggs, evenly spacing them around the pan. Sprinkle the sauce with thyme; cover and cook until the eggs reach desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-set.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with minced parsley & pepper.