Makes 4 servings. Recipe from Cooking Light.
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 ½ cups chopped onion
1 lb cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
½ cup uncooked pearl barley
4 ¾ cups chicken or vegetable stock
⅓ cup finely chopped celery
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chopped fresh + sprigs for garnish
Total fat: 5g
Total Carbs: 31g
Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and mushrooms; sauté 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in barley, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add stock, celery, and salt, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add chopped thyme, and cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with sprigs of thyme for garnish.