Makes 8 servings. Recipe adapted from AARP.
4 15-ounce cans white beans rinsed well
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 quart water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 springs fresh parsley
Nutritional info per serving
Total fat: 5g
Total Carbs: 43g
Dietary Fiber: 16g
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onions, celery and carrots for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add water, the drained & well rinsed beans, tomatoes, oregano, salt, cayenne and pepper.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.