Makes 30 cupcakes, serving size 1 cupcake. Recipe from Cooking Light.
10 ounces cake flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups nonfat buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons red food coloring (about 1 ounce)
Paper cupcake liners
5 tablespoons butter, softened
4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
3 ½ cups powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
Nutritional info per cupcake
Total Fat: 7g
Total Carbs: 34g
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare the cupcakes, place 30 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.
- Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine cake flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add white vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and food coloring; beat well.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.
- To prepare frosting, beat 5 tablespoons butter, 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk, and cream cheese with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until smooth. Add 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes.
- Dust with red crumbs from 1 cupcake or red sprinkles.